Mittwoch, März 15, 2006

Stephi and I now have two 2GB iPod Nanos, plus two new cell phones. Both came for free (!) with our new cell phone contracts (which really aren't that expensive).

And I am now going to blast you with Apple propaganda, you might want to hold on to something. I know I'm a little late in noticing it - seeing as how iPod's been out for a few years now.

iPod Nano is my favorite toy of all times. Yes, even "more favorite" than my favorite computer game (Half-Life 2), my favorite board game (Siedler), or my currently favorite video game (Mario Kart DS). Nano is hawesome-with-an-h.

I now have like 350 songs on there, plus 15 teachings and all the Psalms and Proverbs as read by Mr. S.L. Ovoice. I also have like around 500 photos, including a bunch of fun "scrub" animations (to be found here).

It's perfect for waking up in the morning: I simply turn on its alarm and turn up the volume and place the headphones on my nightstand. They're loud enough to easily wake me up the next morning, so then I turn down the volume a bit, listen to a few Switchfoot songs and I'm awake!

It's perfect for listening to books or teachings (like JR Woodward or Mark Darling), because you can easily fast-forward through the entire teaching with the click-wheel, plus Nano remembers where you left off last, even if you listen to other stuff.

It's perfect for listening to new stuff: Buy a new song on iTunes for $1, put it on your iPod, listen - instant gratification. Woohoo.

It's perfect for using as a "little" USB stick - I have roughly 500MB left on mine for anything I want to transport around. That's a nice size, you can get a whole bunch into 500 MB.

It's perfect for listening to podcasts, little mini radio shows that everyone seems to be doing - hey, even I'm thinking about doing a little podcast some day.

Plus, Nano is so small it easily fits anywhere. And I mean small. I can hide it inside my hand, it's smaller and thinner than a deck of cards.

Only real downer so far:
Battery life is maybe 4-6 hours if you play around with it a lot (as I have). If all you do is listen to music with using the backlight, it's probably more like 8-10 hours. But it recharges super-quick.

So, would I pay $200 to buy one? Uh...no. But I'd pay $150 maybe, which is a LOT for a music toy. :)

4 Kommentare:

Anonym hat gesagt…

Sure it is a nice toy... but expensive... and the downer for what I've seen is a) bound to Itunes b) Bound to your computer, you need that registration key thing to hook it up at different computers... so like if you're at a friends house and you want to copy some "Pictures" ;) Then you can't, you need to register it with his itunes... and that's really annoying. And the battery life, as you've already mentioned sure is a downer...
But you're right all in all it's a great thing... I really like that you can read txt files on the display... that is a really cool function...
Well I'm outta here!

John Goering hat gesagt…

a) Nope it's not bound to iTunes, in fact, you can install Linux on it!
b) It's bound to up to 5 computers, which I think is very fair.

I have to write mgapeq to post this, which proves I'm right.

onetenchelsea hat gesagt…

you can buy an extra battery pack thingy that runs it on 4 AA batteries too for longer life. I have a shuffle. 13 hours. However, I've been discovering the TV show thing on iTunes store. I think next time it's going to have to be the video iPod.

onetenchelsea hat gesagt…

what I love the most is when it picks a song that is absolutly perfect for the moment. It's happened twice to me in the last month. I was getting off of an airplane in Chicago and it shuffled to Less Than Jake's Best Wishes For Your Black Lung ("By this time tomorrow, you'll be walking home through Chicago") and then a month before that, I was on the metro in LA passing through Compton and it picked Ben Folds' cover of B*tches Ain't Sh*t ("Tighter then the motherf*&$in' Gangsta beats, we was b*$%in' on the motherf$*%in' Compton streets." I'm not really sure what that means, but it sure was timely.