Mittwoch, November 05, 2003

Pre-Revolutionary Thoughts

Hi everyone. Well, tonight is the night! LaChelle(from our church), Stephi and I are going to watch The Matrix, Matrix: Reloaded and Matrix: Revolutions(!) all in a row, starting at 6pm, ending at around 2:30am.
I am very interested to see the third one, since I really really enjoyed the second one. Surprisingly, I felt like most people seemed to think the second one wasn't as deep as the first one. I disagree - I felt the second one got (for a secular flick) surprisingly deep into the whole "free will vs. predestination" issue. Here's my take on it:
Morpheus seems to be completely convinced that free will and choice is the A and Z of life - "Everything begins with choice". That's a pretty intense statement, which Morpheus clearly believes with all his heart.
Well, the Merovingian is the counter-pole to that, saying that basically everything is simply "cause and effect". His main point is that there basically is no freedom from that law, and that life is about having power by "owning" all causes, by knowing the "why".
Neo is sort of on neutral ground - I think at the beginning of the movie he's on Morpheus' side, but then after talking to the Architect at the end, he's majorly confused - the machines have been allowing Zion to go on, then be destroyed, for centuries! And each time, the humans and the One believe they have free will - and in a sense they do, it's just there is a higher power - the machines - which is in control in the matters that count.
The movie ends with a huge open question - so how are they going to break this cycle that the machines have set up? How will free will triumph over control? Or will it?
Well, the third movie is "Revolutions" - so my guess is it will. The question still remains - who is in control? There is a key scene in Reloaded where Morpheus says "I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose." While he says that, you see the "bad luck" of the ship in charge of shutting down the electricity - the bridge just "happens" break during an emergency, and everyone on the ship dies - leading to Trinity having to enter the Matrix, leading to Neo not resetting the system. So basically the movie is saying - Even that bad thing is not an accident and has a purpose! That definetly reminds me of God - who can work "all things together for good" - not meaning all things are good, but that all things are knit together by God for good! So in the end - both Morpheus and the Merovingian are right - we have choice, but there is cause and effect - and purpose.
Anyways, more on Revolutions tomorrow, I'll try not to give anything away though. :-)

Keine Kommentare: